cell: (585) 204-0507
129 Cobb Ter. Rochester, NY 14620
Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, 1994 Institute of Gene Biology, Moscow, Russia
Thesis: “Centrifugal DNA extractor”
M.S. in Chemistry, 1986 Lomonosov Moscow State University
Thesis: “DNA synthesis”
2012-Present: Founder and President, Localized Therapeutics, LLC
2011: Research Associate Faculty, Biology Department, University of Rochester, NY
2008-2010: Chief Scientist, LAGeT Inc., Rochester, NY
2008-2010: Visiting Scientist Faculty, Center for musculoskeletal research, University of Rochester.
2008: Adjunct professor, Principles of laser medicine, Alfred University, Alfred, NY
2008-2010: Founder and President, Healing Photonics, Rochester, NY
2006-2008: Research fellow, Dermatology, University of Rochester, NY.
2004: Instructor, Functional genomics, Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences, Bethesda, MD
2001: Senior Scientist, Informax-Invitrogen, Bethesda, MD.
1999-2006: Research Fellow, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD.
1996-1999: Postdoctoral research scientist, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA.
1986-1995: Research Scientist, Institute of Gene Biology, Moscow.
SELECTED RESEARCH SUPPORT
2009-2010: 1 R43 AR057589 (SBIR): Myakishev-Rempel (PI), NIH/NIAMS, Laser-guided gene therapy for cartilage defects.
2009: Myakishev-Rempel (PI), CEIS, Rochester, NY, MRI system for monitoring meniscus recovery
2006 – 2008: 5 T32 AR 007472: Pentland (PI) , NIH/NIAMS, Role: Research Fellow
1. Max Myakishev-Rempel, Istvan Stadler, Philip Brondon, David R. Axe, Mark Friedman, Frances Barg Nardia and Raymond Lanzafame: “A preliminary study of the safety of red light phototherapy of tissues harboring cancer“, Photomedicine and Laser Surgery. 2012
2. Max Myakishev-Rempel, Jerry Kuper, Benjamin Mintz, Sara Hutchinson, Jay Voris, Katrina Zavislan, Sarah Offley, Frances Barg Nardia, Zaneb Yaseen, Tony Yen, James Zavislan, Michael D. Maloney and Edward M. Schwarz, “Investigation of the peak action wavelength of light-activated gene transduction (LAGT)“, Gene Therapy, 2011.
3. Chatterjee R, Bhattacharya P, Gavrilova O, Glass K, Moitra J, Myakishev M, Pack S, Jou W, Feigenbaum L, Eckhaus M, Vinson C.: “Suppression of the C/EBP family of transcription factors in adipose tissue causes lipodystrophy.” J Mol Endocrinol. 2011.
4. Myakishev M, Polesskaya O, Kulichkova V, Baranova A, Gause L and Konstantinova I: “PCR-based detection of Pol III-transcribed transposons and its application to the rodent model of ultraviolet response.” Cell Stress Chaperones. 2008 Spring;13(1):111-6
5. Gerdes MJ, Myakishev M, Frost NA, Rishi V, Moitra J, Glick A, Yuspa SH, Vinson C: “Activator protein-1 activity regulates epithelial tumor cell identity.” Cancer Res. 2006 Aug 1;66(15):7578-88
6. Paletzki R, Myakishev M, Polesskaya O, Hyman S, and Vinson C: “Inhibiting activator protein-1 activity alters cocaine-induced gene expression and potentiates sensitization”, Neuroscience. 2008 Apr 9;152(4):1040-53
7. Rozenberg JM, Shlyakhtenko A, Glass K, Rishi V, Myakishev M, Fitzgerald PC, Vinson C: “All and only CpG containing sequences are enriched in promoters abundantly bound by RNA polymerase II in multiple tissues.” BMC Genomics. 2008 Feb 5;9(1):67
8. Rozenberg J, Myakishev M, Oh W, Fitzgerald P, Vinson C: “CREB is bound to specific motifs clustered 100 bp of transcription start site” In preparation.
9. Mir A, Myakishev M, Polesskaya O, Moitra J, Petersen D, Miller L, Orosz A, Vinson C. A search for candidate genes for lipodystrophy, obesity and diabetes via gene expression analysis of A-ZIP/F-1 mice. Genomics. 2003 Apr;81(4):378-90.
10. Vinson C, Myakishev M, Acharya A, Mir A, Moll J, Bonovich M: “Classification of human B-ZIP proteins based on dimerization properties.” Mol Cell Biol. 2002 Sep;22(18):6321-35. Review.
11. Lueders K, Hu S, McHugh L, Myakishev M, Sirota L, Hamer D: “Genetic and functional analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the beta2-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNB2). Nicotine Tob Res. 2002 Feb;4(1):115-25.
12. Straub R, MacLean C, Ma Y, Webb B, Myakishev M, Harris-Kerr C, Wormley B, Sadek H, Kadambi B, O’Neill F, Walsh D, Kendler K: “Genome-wide scans of three independent sets of 90 Irish multiplex schizophrenia families and follow-up of selected regions in all families provides evidence for multiple susceptibility genes.” Mol Psychiatry. 2002;7(6):542-59.
13. Straub R, Jiang Y, MacLean C, Ma Y, Webb B, Myakishev M, Harris-Kerr C, Wormley B, Sadek H, Kadambi B, Cesare A, Gibberman A, Wang X, O’Neill F, Walsh D, Kendler K: “Genetic variation in the 6p22.3 gene DTNBP1, the human ortholog of the mouse dysbindin gene, is associated with schizophrenia.” Am J Hum Genet. 2002 Aug;71(2):337-48.
14. Myakishev M, Khripin Y, Hu S, Hamer DH: “High-throughput SNP genotyping by allele-specific PCR with universal energy-transfer-labeled primers” Genome Res. 2001 Jan;11(1):163-9
15. Sullivan P, Neale M, Silverman M, Harris-Kerr C, Myakishev M, Wormley B, Webb B, Ma Y, Kendler K, Straub R: “An association study of DRD5 with smoking initiation and progression to nicotine dependence. Am J Med Genet. 2001 Apr 8;105(3):259-65.
16. Straub R, Sullivan P, Ma Y, Myakishev M, Harris-Kerr C, Wormley B, Kadambi B, Sadek H, Silverman M, Webb B, Neale M, Bulik C, Joyce P, Kendler K: “Susceptibility genes for nicotine dependence: a genome scan and follow-up in an independent sample suggests that regions on chromosomes 2, 4, 10, 16, 17 and 18 merit further study” Mol Psychiatry. 1999 Mar;4(2):129-44.
17. Straub R, MacLean C, Martin R, Ma Y, Myakishev M, Harris-Kerr C, Webb B, O’Neill F, Walsh D, Kendler K: “A schizophrenia locus may be located in region 10p15-p11” Am J Med Genet. 1998 Jul 10;81(4):296-301.
18. Hawi Z, Myakishev M, Straub R, O’Neill A, Kendler K, Walsh D, Gill M: “No association or linkage between the 5-HT2a/T102C polymorphism and schizophrenia in Irish families. Am J Med Genet” 1997 Jul 25;74(4):370-3.
1. Myakishev M: “Pipette device for efficient liquid handling” US Patent 10995634, 2005
2. Beritashvili D, Myakishev M, Ershov G, Georgiev G, Kapanadze G: “Centrifugal method and apparatus for isolating a substance from a mixture of substances in a sample liquid” US Patent 5,610,074, 1997.